January 10, 2020
January 15, 2020
March 2, 2020
May 29, 2020
May 29, 2020
2018 Distinguished Mentor of the Year Awardee:
Dr. Myeongsub Kim,
College of Engineering and Computer Science
2018 Distinguished Mentor of the Year Finalists:
- Angela Nichols, Ph.D. Dorothy F. Schmidt College of Arts and Letters
- Monica Escaleras, College of Business
- Seth Fallik, Ph.D. College for Design and Social Inquiry
- Tricia Meredith, Ph.D. College of Education
- Mike Kim, Ph.D. College of Engineering and Computer Science
- Jon Moore, Ph.D. Honors College
- Ceylan Isgor, Ph.D. Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine
- Pat Liehr, Ph.D. Christine E. Lynn College of Nursing
- Mare Cudic, Ph.D. Charles E. Schmidt College of Science
Excellence in Undergraduate Research and Inquiry Mentorship
Faculty who serve as model mentors to their undergraduate research students are eligible to receive the Distinguished Mentor of the Year: Excellence in Undergraduate Research and Inquiry award. Each year, one university-wide award will be given based on the undergraduate research engagement in the previous year. The Distinguished Mentor of the Year will be recognized with a $2,500 award at the annual Honors Convocation.
Eligibility and Criteria for Selection
A permanent full-time faculty including instructors, multi-year appointees, and those in tenured or tenure-earning lines who have been employed for one continuous year who has demonstrated engagement of direct-mentorship of students in undergraduate research and inquiry. Direct mentorship includes co-curricular (i.e. grants, publications, presentations), curricular (i.e. DIS, RI and DIR courses), individual, and group student mentorship.
- Early January : Open call for DMOY nominations, to be submitted to the College Dean’s office
- Mid-late January : College Committees review applications and select College nominee
500 Internal Server Error
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the email@example.com) in the form of letter of support from College Dean/designee and College Nominees notified by OURI to submit a full application.
- End of February: College Nominee applications submitted on FluidReview
- Early March: Faculty and student review committee evaluate applicants and select DMOY
- April TBD: Announcement of Distinguished Mentor of the Year at Honors Convocation
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.
College Nominees will be asked to submit the following through FluidReview:
- A Personal Statement (max 2 pages) that includes:
- statement of undergraduate student mentorship philosophy.
- evidences of your undergraduate research mentorship.
- impact of undergraduate research on the culture of FAU.
- Two letters of support from undergraduate student research mentees. These may be written from the curricular or co-curricular research perspectives. (max 1 page)
- A current curriculum vitae highlighting evidences of all undergraduate research and inquiry student involvement, including co-curricular student mentorship, curricular, and other. Note: please use the highlighter tool to indicate undergraduate research activities.
Final selection of the DMOY will be made by the College Faculty liaisons and student representatives, based on the application materials provided and the letter of recommendation from the Dean or Dean’s Designee.
Submit your final portfolio (for Finalists)
Once you have been notified by OURI that you have been selected as your college finalist please follow these steps to submit your application for committee review. The DMOY process is managed through FluidReview, an applications based system. The link to FluidReview is //ouri.fluidreview.com/. Please read through all of these instructions before clicking on the link.
- After clicking on the link, you will land on the Log-In page for OURI's FluidReview. If you have an FAU username and password (i.e., an active FAU email account), please click on the "Sign In or Register" button ONLY. You will be redirected to FAU's single sign-on page where you will sign in using your FAU credentials (NOTE: this may require a push notification).
- Once you are signed into OURI's FluidReview, you will need to complete the Eligibility task. This is a one-time form that determines to which applications/programs you are eligible to apply (i.e. Faculty vs. Student programs).
- Once your Eligibility is complete, click on the blue button labeled "View Programs."
- Search for the Distinguished Mentor of the Year application that has "Create Application" button on the far right side.
- Click on the "Create Application" button and follow the prompts.
- You must submit your application once all tasks are finished by clicking on the "Submit" button.
Previous Distinguished Mentors
2018 Myeongsub Kim, Ph,D. College of Engineering and Computer Science
2017 Julie L. Earles, Ph.D. Harriet L. Wilkes Honors College
2016 Tobin Hindle, Ph.D. College of Science
2015 Daniel de Lill, Ph.D. College of Science
2014 Daniel Meeroff, Ph.D. College of Engineering and Computer Science